Manila – August 31, 2025 – House Deputy Speaker and Antipolo 1st District Representative Ronaldo “Ronnie” Puno has raised concerns over alleged anomalies in the proposed 2026 national budget, particularly in allocations for flood control projects.
Puno revealed that when he reviewed the 2026 National Expenditure Program (NEP), many of the priority flood control projects for his district—originally submitted to the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH)—were missing.
According to Puno, each congressional district is typically allotted around ₱150 million for local projects. District engineers and regional officials of the DPWH prepare and forward a project list to the Department of Budget and Management (DBM) for inclusion in the NEP. However, Puno said that when he checked the official budget document, the projects submitted by DPWH had been replaced with other items.
He further disclosed that even House Majority Leader and Ilocos Norte Representative Sandro Marcos, the President’s eldest son, encountered the same issue. “Napaka-walanghiya ang gumawa nito,” Puno said, stressing that not even the district of President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. was spared from these changes.
Puno also cited the case of Marikina Representative Marcelino Teodoro, whose district allegedly received fresh funding for projects that had already been completed, raising further questions about the accuracy of the budget proposal.
The lawmaker expressed frustration that when members of Congress submit “errata” to correct such discrepancies, they are often accused of inserting irregular projects.
Given the issues he uncovered, Puno said he would prefer a reenacted budget over approving what he described as a questionable 2026 NEP. He has also filed a House resolution calling for an investigation into the so-called “funders” behind infrastructure allocations, particularly for flood control projects.