Refreshing to all migrant workers below reminder while working in Taiwan.
1. All foreign workers are covered by the Taiwan Labor Standards Law, except Household Services Workers (e.g. caretakers and domestic helpers).
The household service workers are protected by the provisions of their employment contracts, which depends on their employer.
2. The total working period in Taiwan is 12 years only. After their 12th year, foreign workers, including OFWs are not qualified to return to work in Taiwan.
Although, lawmakers are looking to extend it up to 15 years.
3. There is a “brokerage system” in Taiwan, it was passed and it is a law.
Taiwan Manpower agencies collect fees monthly for their services.
4. OFWs are required to submit a Foreign Workers’ Affidavit for Wages/Salary and Expenses incurred for Entry to ROC to Work (Fees and Salary Declaration).
This includes all the fees that are paid by the workers. These fees are not reflected in the Employment Contract of the workers.
5. OFWs must undergo a mandatory medical examination within 3 days from arrival and within 30 days before or after the 6th, 18th and 30th month of employment.
6. OFWs must apply for Alien Residence Certificate (ARC) immediately when reached Taiwan.
However, brokers are the one who applies for these.
7. The employer has to apply for the worker’s Work Permit, always check and read.
8. OFWs have month deductions on salary which are income taxes, labor insurance except for houshold service workers, National Health Insurance share and broker’s fee.
Other Important reminders:
a. OFW must keep their own passport, ARC, and money
b. Have the original copy of your marriage contract and birth certificate of children for tax exemption
c. Read every contract you are signing
d. The worker cannot change employer instantly
e. Penalties on breaching contracts include Blacklisting of OFW, Face legal case, Incarceration/Detention, and Immediate Deportationpinoys.
Be refreshed Pinoys.